Ohhhhhh Carbonara. My absolute favourite pasta sauce so I eat it almost every time we try a new Italian and while there are many ways of doing it I try to do it in the most traditional way, and have tried to perfect it over time.
Absolutely perfect with a tomato, basil and mozzarella salad.
Lardo / Guanciale cut into small pieces
Eggs separate to 2-1 yolks to whites
Pecorino finely grate cheese
Onion very finely chop the onions
Salt / finely ground Pepper
Long Egg Pasta
- put water on to boil.
- prepare onions, guanciale, cheese, eggs.
- mix together cheese, eggs, pepper and salt and some hot pasta water.
- start boiling pasta.
- make salad at this point (if you’re having some) while the pasta is boiling.
- drain pasta and keep some of the water.
- start frying meat and onions.
- when onion is soft turn off the heat leave everything to cool down.
- add some water and the pasta, turn the heat on a little, let it mix.
- add the cheese / egg mixture, but don’t let it cook.
- serve straight away.